Published Date: 10/09/2014
Category: Therapies & Markets
EpiCast Report: Asthma - Epidemiology Forecast to 2023
Summary Asthma is a chronic inflammatory lung disease that affects persons of all ages, but most commonly starts in childhood. It is a common long-term condition characterized by narrowing of the airways, leading to airflow limitation and airway hyper-responsiveness whenever the lungs come into contact with endogenous and exogenous irritants. Exposure to irritants instigates a series of events, such as swelling of the airways, tightening of the respiratory muscles, and increased mucus production, leading to reduced airflow into the lungs.In 2013, there were 137.66 million lifetime prevalent cases of asthma in the 10MM, with 82.71 million cases in the US (43.16 million cases) and India (39.55 million cases) combined. GlobalData epidemiologists forecast that there will be approximately 161.02 million lifetime prevalent cases of asthma in the 10MM by 2023, with an overall growth of 17.0% over the next decade.GlobalData epidemiologists forecast the prevalent cases of asthma in the 10MM from 2013-2023 using country-specific studies published in peer-reviewed journals that provided the age- and sex-specific prevalence of asthma in the respective markets. The epidemiologists made sure that all the selected nationally-representative studies in the respective countries assessed the lifetime asthma prevalence using the same study definition, thereby ensuring that the results forecast for each country are comparable. In addition, the lifetime prevalent cases of asthma in each country were further segmented by asthma severity based on the Global Initiative for Asthma guidelines. The forecast methodology was consistent across all the 10MM to allow for a meaningful comparison among them.
Reasons to buy
- Develop business strategies by understanding the trends shaping and driving the global Asthma market.
- Quantify patient populations in the global Asthma market to improve product design, pricing, and launch plans.
- Organize sales and marketing efforts by identifying the sex and age groups that present the best opportunities for Asthma therapeutics in each of the markets covered.
- The Asthma EpiCast Report provides an overview of the risk factors, comorbidities, and global trends for asthma in the ten major markets (10MM) (US, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, UK, Japan, Australia, China, and India).
- It includes a 10-year epidemiological forecast of the lifetime prevalent cases of asthma segmented by sex, age (in five-year increments beginning at 0 years and ending at =85 years), and asthma severity in these markets.
- The Asthma epidemiology report is written and developed by Masters- and PhD-level epidemiologists.The EpiCast Report is in-depth, high quality, transparent and market-driven, providing expert analysis of disease trends in the 10MM.