Published Date: 23/11/2007
Category: Drug Delivery & Devices
Research Report Decription
This report gives in depth analysis of innovative manufacturing and advanced delivery
technologies that are being applied to development and delivery of bacterial, protein, DNA and viral-based vaccines. These include the incorporation of adjuvants and novel immune potentiators as well advances in subcutaneous delivery devices and the evolution of alternative delivery vehicles for intranasal, oral and transdermal delivery.
Key Questions Answered:
- How will the delivery technology drivers change in the vaccine arena during the next decade and beyond?
- What are the key delivery technologies and devices approved and underdevelopment in the vaccines market?
- When are products and devices which utilize these key delivery technologies likely to reach the market?
- Which delivery technologies and agents are likely to win in the near-term and the long-term, and why?
- Which companies are the winners in each technology category?
- How are delivery technologies evolving to meet the demands of vaccine manufacturers who are now targeting emerging diseases, biodefense and therapeutic vaccines?
- Where are the market opportunities now and in the future?
- What do we predict will be the value of the vaccines delivery market each year until 2012, in 2015 and in 2020?
Acambis, ACE Biosciences, Allergy Therapeutics, Alba Therapeutics, Alphavax, AlteaTherapeutics, AnGes MG, Antares Pharma, Antigenics, Corixa (acquired by GlaxoSmithKline), Avant Immunotherapeutic, Bavarian Nordic, Baxter Healthcare, Bayhill Therapeutics, Becton Dickinson, Berna Biotech, Bharat Biotech International Limited, Biomira (shortly to change its name to Oncothyreon), Bioject Medical Technologies Inc, BioVex, BN Immunotherapeutics Inc, Brookwood Pharmaceuticals, Cambridge Biostability, Celldex Therapeutics Inc, CerusCorporation, Coley Pharmaceuticals (acquired by Pfizer), CrossJect Medical Technology, Crucell, CSL Ltd, Cure Vac, Cytos Biotechnology, CytoPulse Sciences Inc, DelSite, Dynavax Technologies, DynPort Vaccine Company, Eli Lilly, Eiffel Technologies, Eisai, Emergent Biosolutions, EPFL,Eurocine Vaccines, GeneVac, GlaxoSmithKline, Genexine, Glide Pharma, GlobeImmune, GeoVax,Ichor Medical Systems, ID Biomedical Corporation, Idera Pharmaceuticals, Iomai Corporation,Immutep, Intercell, Introgen Therapeutics, InovivoGen, Inovio, Injex, LigoCyte Pharmaceuticals, MedImmune (acquired by AstraZeneca), Merck & Co, Merck KGaA, Midatech Group, NanoBio,Nanomed Pharmaceuticals, NanoPass Technologies, NanoVic, NasVax, Nventa (formerly StressgenBiotechnologies), Novartis, Novavax, OctoPlus, OM Pharmceuticals, Oxford BioMedica, Panacea Biotech, PenJet Corporation, Pevion Biotech, Pfizer, Pharmexa, PowderMed (previously part ofChiron Corporation, acquired by Pfizer), pSivida, Roche, Sanofi Pasteur, Sanofi-aventis, Targeted Genetics, Therion Biologics, Transgene, Valeritas, VaxInnate, Vaxiion Therapeutics, Vaxin Inc, VGX Pharmaceuticals, Vical Inc, Virxsys, Wyeth, Zogenix, 3M Pharmaceuticals.
- The 2006 global vaccines market is worth around US$9 billion.
- This market has attracted attention of specialty pharma and is of increasing interest to big pharma.The major players in the field are GlaxoSmithKline, Novartis, MedImmune (acquired by AstraZeneca), Merck & Co, Sanofi-aventis and Wyeth.
- Challenges remain to ensure the safe and efficient manufacture and delivery of vaccines and the promotion of a sufficient humoral and cellular response to provide long-term immunity.
- Forecasts for near-term (2006-2012) and future (2020) market growth based on the technology platforms evaluated in the report.
- Plus, sales forecasts for approved and pipeline vaccines and adjuvants.
- Many new vaccines (bacterial, protein, DNA andviral based vaccines) will reach the market over the next 6 years, driving future market growth.Their success is analyzed in detail and case studies are provided to highlight the progress of each technology.
- Researchers are increasingly using rational drugdevelopment techniques to identify immune potentiators that stimulate specific parts of the immune system resulting in a cellular, humoral and/or mucosal immune response. A number of these agents currently in clinical trials are evaluated in this report.
- Specialists are exploring alternative delivery routes including intranasal, oral, transdermal as well as needle-free injectors and micro-needles for parenteral delivery.
- As our understanding of immunobiology grows and the vaccine market evolves, companies are adopting new approaches in vaccines for emerging diseases and therapeutic vaccines. Pharmaceutical companies continue to license and acquire the necessary skills in order to expand their product portfolio and capitalize on this innovative and expanding marketplace. Market trends, recent alliances and acquisitions are analyzed in detail in the report.